Thursday, July 07, 2005

Rick Warren's Awakening...

A quote from Rick Warren -

"And that was a turning point in my life two-and-a-half years ago, where God basically said to me - and I've never heard God speak audibly; it's in my mind - 'The purpose of influence is to speak up for those who have no influence. The purpose of influence is to speak up for those who have no influence.' And in religious terms I had to say, 'God, I repent, because I can't think of the last time I thought of widows and orphans.' I live in a very affluent Southern California neighborhood. There aren't any homeless people lying on the streets where I live. And I said, 'I can't think of the last time I cared about the homeless.'

And so I went back and I began to read scripture, and it was like blinders came off. Now, I've got three advanced degrees. I've had four years in Greek and Hebrew and I've got doctorates. And how did I miss 2,000 versus in the Bible where it talks about the poor? How did I miss that? I mean, I went to two different seminaries and a Bible school; how did I miss the 2,000 verses on the poor?"

Read More

No comments: