Thursday, July 28, 2005

Developing Mental Toughness...

Don't ask me why, but I signed up to be part of a relay team for a huge race this November. My leg of the race will be about 10k. It was one of those decisions that seemed like a way to force myself into some disciplined physical exercise. Well, it worked. I'm doing some disciplined physical exercise at least every other day now. But it's not all that it's cracked up to be. At this point I can truthfully say that I don't like to run. In fact, as I was finishing my little 2 k run yesterday I realized something. It's not my body that needs the training. Well, maybe it does need the training. But what I really need to develop is my mind. I realized that my body as it is right now could run more than 2k. If I was being chased by a British Columbia Grizzly I could keep it up for quite a distance. But my mind, that's another story. Even though my body doesn't need to stop my mind keeps reminding it that it's way more soothing and comfortable to lie down on a grassy stretch beside the road.

This realization has totally transformed my concepts of training. Yes, I need to develop some more physical stamina. But what I need even more is to develop the mental toughness to push my body closer to the limits of my physical stamina. My mind has to set the pace and then call my body to catch up. As I reflected on this throughout the day I realized that the same is true of spiritual growth as well. In any given situation we have options. We can choose to work through the difficulties, calling our spirit to actually live out what Jesus calls us to, or we can take the easy road and just quit. How much of our spiritual immaturity is the result of us choosing to cut and run when things get difficult?

I need to develop some mental toughness for this 10k run. Hopefully God will help me develop some spiritual toughness in and through the situations that He brings my way.

1 comment:

Kerry Doyal said...

I respect your commitment to run & deepen your mental discipline. Keep writing about your progress