Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Gifts I am receiving...


"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows." (James 1:17)

I am beginning to learn that everything that comes my way is a gift from God. This is a truth that has made it into my head and is slowly descending into my heart. In other words, I know it theoretically, but struggle to live it out practically. I have had a difficult few weeks. I've struggled with some difficult relationships, with some difficult texts, and with some painful criticism. As I reflected on all of that today I felt the Spirit challenging me to see these things as gifts instead of difficulties. So I've decided (in my head and hopefully in my heart) to choose to be thankful for the following...

  1. Criticism - Criticism is a gift from God in that it exposes my own pride. It drags my arrogance out into the light so that I can see it. It challenges my motives, helping me to remember why it is that I am doing what I am doing. It also calls me to cling to God for His affirmation and direction, rather than just doing what I do because people enjoy it or affirm me for it.
  2. Other people assuming they know and understand my motives - This is a gift because it allows me to understand what Jesus must have often felt. It also challenges me not to jump to conclusions in regards to my understanding of the motives of others. And it exposes in my own heart my need to defend myself rather than to live with humility. My gut reaction is to control and to seek power - to be justified for all the world to see that what I did was right and genuine. I just read an article by Walter Norris in the most recent E-pistle from Ron Sider. The article was entitled "Teaching Humility". The following words leapt of the page...
    We have lost sight of the words of Micah (6:8): "He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?" How many of us evangelicals really believe this verse? Political slander and a spirit of divisiveness were all too evident in the church during the last presidential election, and those attitudes persist. In contrast, humility requires respecting and loving those with whom we do not agree philosophically. Service to others, which is what Jesus Christ calls us to, requires humility and sacrifice. Are we willing to reach down and love those on the bottom? Are we willing to get our hands dirty? Are we willing to be like the One who sends us out? I once read somewhere that "the life that Jesus lived is the life Jesus invites us to live." Does this life conflict with ministers having six-figure salaries, being the star of their own television shows, or hobnobbing (and lobbying) with the political elite? I believe that humility needs to be taught in our churches. It needs to be a part of our active ministry. We need to consider the possibility that our humility might be the most powerful tool for influence that we have at our disposal. (empahsis mine) In his book WHOLISTIC CHRISTIANITY (Brethren Press, 1985), David Moberg maps out a way for evangelicals to make a way for making change. He calls this road map "Strategic Principles for Confronting Change." The first is being biblical, the second is being Christ-centered, and the third is being humble. If we are going to make change that is positive for our society, humility has to be at the forefront of our actions. Moberg further explains, "A haughty spirit that implies that we have all the answers will turn many away; humility will win respect and often friends as well." This is in contrast to those who proclaim that God is on our side as a nation or culture. How do we teach humility and better society through that humility? First, we must live as Jesus lived. Leaders in the church should first set the example of serving not just our friends but also those we do not like or feel comfortable with. The power of the resurrection to work miracles is about being able to love those that society does not love. (emphasis mine)
  3. Painful relationships - (By this I mean relationships where people have chosen to believe something about me that is not true.) I am thankful for painful relationships because they give me the opportunity to love unconditionally. Jesus said, "If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that?" (Mt. 5:46). Painful relationships give me the chance to love those who do not love me. To show grace to people who are choosing not to show grace to me. To forgive those who are not forgiving. If not for the gift of these relationships I would never know the joy of loving others for Christ's sake instead of for what they offer me.
  4. People who are unwilling to see the truth - This has been a gift to me because I am realizing that the ultimate calling that I have is to love people as Christ would love them. I am not called to make sure that they are theologically sound. I am called to love. For too long I have thought it was my responsibility to "Guide them into all truth" and have forgotten that this guidance is a role that the Holy Spirit has reserved for Himself. My role is to love God with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength - and to love my neighbor as I love myself. This last gift has been very precious because it has reminded me that I love people because God loves them, not because they comply with what I want them to do, to be, or to believe.

So I am thankful for these gifts, although at times I grit my teeth as I say, "Thanks God". And there are moments I want Him to go give some of these things to other people and just stop being so generous with me. Yet the reality is (as I wrote here and here) God is using all of these things to make me like Christ. That's the ultimate gift - my transformation to Christlikeness which brings Him glory.

No comments: