Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Love is the Reversal

Sometimes I whine and worry too much. One of the things that bothers me most is what I see as the lack of any spiritual substance in Christian Youth Culture. It often seems as if Jesus if just an add on to make sure that everyone is having a good time. Not so with the recent album from the group STARFIELD. Here's a group of young guys who write and sing songs with some substance.

One example is "Love Is The Reversal". It speaks about something that I see every day. The world is broken. Life is not as it should be. That's why Jesus came. He created the world (and us) for a perfect purpose. We walked away from that and are reaping the results. We live, as the song says, "...in between the was and the could be..." Yet there is hope. Love is the reversal. As we surrender to Jesus and His call to love God and love others, both we and the world are transformed.

I love it when people package profound truth in a way that amplifies it instead of hiding it. This rekindles in me the "secret longings" that tell me that I'm not at home...yet.

Here's the lyrics to the song as well as a link for a Real Player sample...

Welcome to the worldwide train wreck
Welcome to the come undone
Welcome to the big rejection
Welcome to the hit and run
Where mercy cries for everyone

Chorus: Yeah, nothing is as good as it should be
'Cause this is the rehearsal
Yeah, in between the was and the could be
Love is the reversal

I believe we're underwater
I believe the engine's blown
Yeah I believe our secret longings
Tell us that we're not at home
But grace reclaims what the world disowns

Song Sample (for Real Player) here

No comments: