Monday, May 11, 2009

Quote of the week...

I've just started reading Enough, by Will Samson.  It's an awesome book thus far.  I'll do a little review here when I finish it, but I knew right away I was in for a treat when I came across this quote in the forward.  Words of wisdom for those of us who would concern ourselves with the spiritual growth of our own life and in the lives of others.
"Guilt can be a good indicator of where things are wrong, but it's a bad motivator toward getting things right."
-- Shaine Claiborne.
That's why Paul would write to Titus...
For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men.  It (the grace of God) teaches us to say "No" to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age, while we wait for the blessed hope—the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ." (Titus 2:11-13, NIV)
We change not by feeling guilty enough, but by grace.  The guilt only lets us know that the change needs to come.

No comments: