Thursday, May 14, 2009

It's a bird, it's a plane, it's super pastor...

Several things have converged in my life at the present to help solidify my thinking in a specific area.  It has to do with the role of the pastor in the local church.  This is something that I care deeply about, as it is what I sense to be my calling, but I am concerned that what we currently are doing is far from what we should be.

It started with the fact that I have an upcoming job assessment.  This will be my first in 10 years. I am looking forward to it and have been asking for one for the last 7 years at GBC.  I love and respect the Leadership Team that I work with and am hoping for some honest assessment that will help me grow in my job, but that will also give me some clarity as to what it is that I need to see as priorities in my role.

At the same time I have been re-reading The Missional Leader by Alan Roxburgh and Fred Romanuk.  This is a fascinating book that talks about both a theology of church leadership and some shifts that are needed in the way we do things.  My thinking was further stirred when Len Hjalmarson of NextReformation posted two entries (here and here) on the same book.

But it all came to a head yesterday as I read this classified ad.  (No, I'm not looking for another job, just always curious what church's expectations are for their pastor.)
Church X is seeking a spirit-filled, spirit-led visionary leader to serve as Lead Pastor of our multi-cultural congregation of approximately 450 Plus.  We are looking for a Lead Pastor whose personal and pastoral life is characterized by a spirit of prayer. The Shepherd we are seeking must have a passion for God, His Word, and His people.. Administration, team building, assimilation experience are essential. Our Lead Pastor must also possess Bible-based preaching & teaching skills that are relevant to today's challenges without compromising God's word. We are seeking a Pastor whose leadership style includes a focus on evangelism, modeling, mentoring and continually speaking the word of God. We desire a Pastor that BI for God's purpose.
Who can do all that? In fact, if someone thinks that they actually can that just might disqualify them for the position.  I understand that this church is seeking a gifted individual, but no one can fill those shoes.  I read this ad to my wife and asked her the same question, "Who can actually do all of that?" Her response was, "It sounds like they are looking for a church."  And I think that may sum up how I feel. Pastors can't do it all.  The way to make this thing work isn't to find the ultra-gifted spiritual superman...it's for each part to do its work.  

In the past 2-3 years I have realized that God has given me gifts to do what I do.  But with that has come the truth that there are certain areas in which I am not gifted.  This is not about always loving your job and not wanting to do things you don't like.  Some of the areas that I sense gifting in are areas that I really don't enjoy all that much. Overall though, I love what I do, but in some ways I fear that my very presence as the "paid pastor" enables people to look to me to accomplish what they are called to contribute.  

So wherever you are, if you are a part of a church, do me a big favor. Realize that your pastor is a lot like you.  Strengths and weakeness, ability and disability, and that this is just the way God planned it.  If anything, the pastor's role is 
...to prepare God's people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up... (Eph. 4:12)
His or her job is to help you get moving so that the church can fully participate in the mission of God.  But they can't do it alone.  

No comments: