Thursday, May 07, 2009

Bumper sticker truth


Today I saw this bumper sticker on a car parked at our local hospital.  I laughed out loud (LOL for all you text speak people). One of the aspects that struck me as funny was that even though years ago I would have loved it, I would have understood it differently.  It would have been a way to say God bless those other weirdos that I don't understand, and if I was honest, those that I didn't want to understand.  

But the years change you.  I am learning more about people...and more about me.  I'm learning that we are usually more alike than we are different. And far too often I have refused to admit it as a way to feel better about my own preferences and idiosyncrasies. As much as I hate to admit it, the older I get the more it becomes clear to me that the freak is me. Before you laugh too hard let me remind you that it's you too.  There is no "normal".  We all have our freakish aspects.  For years I used myself as the definition of normal, and your level of "freakishness" was derived by how far from me you were on the normal scale.  Today I think we're all a bit weird.  We all have our hang-ups.  We all need a lot of grace. So yeah, "God bless the freaks." That's a great prayer.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

what are you doing posting at 5:30am? You are a freak!