Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Top 10 books of 2008

Back when I was posting regularly I always ended the year by listing my favorite books from the year. You can take a look yourself if you don't believe me...(2005 and 2006)

This year I thought I'd do the same. Here are what I think are the best 10 books that I have read (or am reading) from 2008.


Jesus for President - Shane Claiborne

Shane gave me the gift of reading the Scriptures from an "out of the box" perspective. He does an excellent job at looking at the story of the Bible and how it applies to the way the church needs to be living out our relationship with Jesus ... especially in an American context. This book has started something within me. Not sure where it is going but I think that I'm going to enjoy the journey.






This short little book was written for preachers, but I think it's impact goes way beyond preaching. Barbara asks the question, "Who are we to attempt to speak for God." Her thoughts are challenging and affirming and disarming.








Here's one that challenges our vision of church. Fitch stresses that we've become very confused as to why we do what we do and have surrendered our calling to other avenues in society today. It's not a light read, but for anyone seeking to help the church be the church, it's an important one.




It took me a while to buy this one. But it was money well invested. Rob Bell gives a good theological understanding of God's purpose in human sexuality in a way that is easy and fun to read. I highly recommend this book.








The Jesus Way - Eugene Peterson

Eugene Peterson always makes my list. He is one of my greatest mentors. This book reminds us that Jesus is not just the way to heaven when we die, but He is the way to life today. If you only read one of these ten, read this one.









Scot McKnight is one of a kind. He writes from the level of a scholar, but communicates as if you are sitting across the table from him in his kitchen. This book addresses what I am finding to be a major problem in the church today - how to read the Bible. Scot shares some good thoughts in the first half of the book and then shows how to work his ideas through in relationship to the Bible's teachings on women in church leadership. An easy read...and an extremely important one.



This book was on my 2006 list. I include it here not because I am too lazy to choose new ones, but because it is still shaping and impacting my thinking. I pull it off the shelf and reread sections almost every month. Brueggemann helps us to see the manner in which those who sought to call society back to God spoke prophetically into their context. As I said back in 2006, it's not a light read, but the best stuff rarely is.




These last three are works in process. I have been chewing on them for a while but have become convinced that they are books to be read slowly. They have already impacted my life and thinking and am sure that they will continue to.


Surprised by Hope: Rethinking Heaven, the Resurrection, and the Mission of the Church - NT Wright

This book came along just in time for me to work through some of the questions and ideas that surfaced as I spent 20 weeks preaching through Revelation. The simplicity of it's teachings about heaven made me wonder if I had ever even really read what the Bible says about heaven. Wright challenges the typical "Philly Cream Cheese" idea of heaven and the resurrection and calls us back to what the Bible actually teaches.



Spiritual Formation as if the Church Mattered - James C. Wilhoit

This is one that I have just started, but have found it to be amazing. I do believe the church matters, and I do believe that it has a key role to play in helping people be "formed" into the likeness of Jesus. Wilhoit, while providing no 3 step approach, helps to lay out a foundation for church structure that does more than just keep the organization afloat. He helps us understand what it means to teach people to actually follow Jesus.


Presence: An Exploration of Profound Change in People, Organizations, and Society - Peter Senge, C. Otto Scharmer, Joseph Jaworski, and Betty Sue Flowers.

The title says it all. Be prepared, this is not a "Christian" book, but it is a fascinating discussion of the ways that people, groups of people especially, actually change. As someone who spends a lot of time thinking about spiritual change, this books has provided a lot of food for thought.

No comments: