Thursday, September 02, 2004

They will know we are Christians by our ??????

Okay, I know the song. They will know we are Christians by our love. But what I've been wondering lately is this - If we didn't have a "church" and we didn't have the Bible, how would people know that we are Christians? I know that there are many groups in North America who are moving "church" out of the building and into their lives, but what if a church building wasn't even an option. What if we had to communicate who we were without a building or a book like the early church had to do? Don't get me wrong, I thank God for the Scriptures and for resources like the building my church has, but I think the "what if?" questions can help us make sure that we're more than just a group of people who read their holy book in their building. I believe we have a lot to learn from the persecuted church. They have to learn to be the church in a culture that is hostile to all the things that we see as so necessary for the church in North America. How will they know that we are Christians? It's a question worth asking.

No comments: