Tuesday, September 07, 2004

"Great things..."

I've always been motivated by the quote by William Carey, "Attempt great things for God, expect great things from God." I'm a dreamer and I want to make a difference in the world, the big world, not just "my little corner". But lately I've been learning that I need to be careful how I define "great". Jesus compared the Kingdom of God to a mustard seed that was planted in the ground. A small, seemingly inconsequential act, when empowered by the Spirit, accomplishes "great things". It reminds me of what Mother Theresa said, "We can do no great things; only small things with great love."

So I'm looking for mustard seeds to plant. I'm asking God to help me serve in small ways that will multiply the Kingdom. And it's amazing the different perspective it gives. Pierre Teihard de Chardin said, "Do not forget that the value and interest on life is not so much to do conspicuous things...as to do ordinary things with the perception of their enormous value." Am I willing to be "useless" for God and spend my life doing small things, knowing that He takes small things and uses them to build a never-ending Kingdom? I hope so.

No comments: