Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Things are a bit different now...

...than they were back in 1863. The senate asked the president to declare a National Day of Prayer, Fasting, and Humiliation. Lincoln complied and said in the declaration -
We have been the recipients of the choicest bounties of Heaven. We have been preserved, these many years, in peace and prosperity. We have grown in numbers, wealth and power, as no other nation has ever grown. But we have forgotten God. We have forgotten the gracious hand which preserved us in peace, and multiplied and enriched and strengthened us; and we have vainly imagined, in the deceitfulness of our hearts, that all these blessings were produced by some superior wisdom and virtue of our own. Intoxicated with unbroken success, we have become too self-sufficient to feel the necessity of redeeming and preserving grace, too proud to pray to the God that made us! (Read the rest here.)
Probably not going to happen today as a declaration from the white house. But it could happen within my house and your house. And that wouldn't be a bad idea.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jeff, Google Alerts picked up your Blog and I enjoyed reading it SO MUCH. I agree with everything you said.

I love the quote by Lincoln and think how much it applies to today.

In 2007 I wrote a book called Help Is Not a Four-Letter Word: Why Doing It All Is Doing You In.

In it I identify a never before revealed self-defeating behavior I call The Self-Sufficiency Syndrome. As I speak on this subject, I can tell you its an epidemic as technology helps us isolate even more!!

I hope God is using this economic crunch the world is under to cause us to come together in more simple settings again, to find entertainment in getting to KNOW one another and Him.

Thank you for this piece. It TOUCHED ME!
Peggy
Peggy Collins
www.helpisnotafourletterword.com
peggy@helpisnotafourletterword.com