Saturday, February 21, 2009

Anybody else see the problem with this kind of thinking?

Today from CNN...
"U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton broached the issue of human rights with Chinese leaders Saturday, but emphasized that the world economic and other crises are more pressing and immediate priorities." (Read the rest of the article here.)
Clinton's actual quote was...
"Human rights cannot interfere with the global economic crisis, the global climate change crisis and the security crises."
Contrast this with the word of Amos...
"They sell the righteous for silver, and the needy for a pair of sandals. They trample on the heads of the poor as upon the dust of the ground and deny justice to the oppressed. (Amos 2:6-7)
"Will not the land tremble for this, and all who live in it mourn? (Amos 8:8)
My thoughts are best expressed in the words of Randy Stonehill...
"Stop the world, I want to get off. This is too weird for me.
Stop the world, I want to get off. I get the definite impression that this isn't how it's meant to be.
Stop the world, I want to get off. I've just got to find a planet where they're interested in sanity."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was talking to my nephew, who came out of the "closet" a couple of years ago. Our conversation centered around how each generation is getting worse in terms of values that mattered. You're hitting the nail on the head Jeff, our economic crisis pales in light of our value crisis. Someone said that our greatest moral crisis is the neglect of the poor. I'm as guilty as anyone in being a part of this decay.