Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Roe V. Wade

This last election in the US has changed the way that many Christians (myself included) seek to address the issue of abortion. Let me clearly say that I am anti-abortion/pro-life and find that to be implicit within the gospel. But my methods have undergone some re-thinking. Scot McKinght of Jesus Creed gives a good example of why that is in his response to this letter. In a nutshell Scot reminds us that...
"The obsession with changing the law needs to be met with an obsession to reduce abortions alongside that law-change battle. (Note: I did not say "instead of" but "alongside.")"
I, like Scot, would like to beg the church to think clearly about this issue. Jesus said that we are to be as wise as serpents and as harmless as doves. For those who struggle with the the number of Christians who voted for a pro-choice Obama, lets not jump to the conclusion that their vote means they favor abortion. In Scot's words let's realize that maybe we are...
"...pursuing the same goals with a different strategy. We'll see if it works. Let's work together to reduce abortions."

No comments: