Wednesday, May 11, 2005

It's God's House, or is it?

I wrote a bit about doing church from the margins here, and I was pushed even further in my thinking by Howard Snyder in a recent article in Christianity Today called God's Housing Crisis. He writes...

Interestingly, church history shows an inverse ratio between dynamic church multiplication and preoccupation with buildings. Emphasis on buildings is generally linked with relatively slow growth or even decline.
I find that fascinating. I write this as we are undergoing a $300,000 renovation of our own church building. There's a lot we could do with that money. But I do realize that our building is a gift from God and a tool to be used for His Kingdom. Nevertheless, Snyder gives the church some valuable wisdom in his article.

Read More

No comments: