Friday, January 23, 2009

A touchy subject...

This past week I began preaching a series on the book of Amos. God uses Amos to challenge some of the economic practices of the northern Kingdom of Israel @ 750 years before Jesus. They were "selling the needy for a pair of sandals" (Amos 2:6). As usual, the questions of our financial obligations within the Kingdom of God have provoked some discussion within our church body. I have tried to summarize some of my thoughts in our bulletin's "Pastor's Corner" for this coming week. Here's what I wrote...

Well…to say that last week’s sermon has provoked some thought in my own world and in many of yours would be an understatement. If there’s one thing we can count on, it is that when the Scripture starts challenge the financial aspects of our lives we sit up and take notice. As I have reflected on the text, my own life, and the feedback I have heard from others, there are four things that I’d like to say to help us move forward.

First, issues regarding wealth and poverty as well as a Christ-follower’s responsibilities in those areas are extremely complicated and not prone to quick answers. There are no three steps to resolution when it comes to God’s plan for the blessings that we have been given. The complexity of economics is something the whole world is wrestling with at present. Just because a Guatemalan only makes $2000 a year may not mean that I have a moral obligation to help him make more. And just because there is great need in Guatemala and other places around the world doesn’t deny that there is serious need here in Canada as well. Determining what is “need” and what is “want” is extremely complex.

Second, this complexity doesn’t mean that we ignore these difficult issues. Just because they are complex issues and not easily resolved doesn’t mean that we don’t need to wrestle with them. I think that is why books like Amos are so important. They force us face to face with issues that we would prefer to leave on the sidelines.

Third, we should be quick to analyze our own hearts and motives in regards to finances, but slow to make pronouncements in regards to others. One of the problems with preaching through texts like the first two chapters of Amos is that many listeners want to know the bottom line. Please be assured that I am wrestling with that in my own financial life and not seeking to manipulate you to do my bidding in your checkbook. All I can tell you is that the Bible is clear that we can’t separate our finances from discipleship. I see my role as a pastor to be that of reminding us all (starting with myself) of the teaching of Scripture and then calling us all (starting with myself) to respond to the voice of God. That may look different in each of our lives…and that’s okay.

Fourth, it is worthwhile to ask ourselves why we get defensive when these issues are discussed. As we talk about our prosperity and blessing and God’s thoughts on them. I find myself seeking to justify why what I am currently doing is okay. It’s not that I don’t want to surrender, I think I’m just a bit scared of what surrender might actually look like. Maybe I need to sit with the text before rushing to make myself feel better? Maybe my defensiveness and self- justification closes my ears to what the Spirit is calling me too? Maybe God is more concerned about the process of walking with me through these issues as a means of changing my heart than He is about getting me to certain economic level?

To sum it all up, I hope we can all do exactly what I tried to stress last week.
  • Be thankful to God for what we have been given.
  • Be willing to open our eyes to needs all around us.
  • And finally, to be willing to surrender our whole life - dreams, relationships, and even finances - to the "Kingdom of God"
The issues of finances and their role within the Kingdom of God are huge. I am struggling with all the implications of Jesus and His lordship over my checkbook. But that's okay. It's the struggle that clarifies the Spirit's leading in our lives.

No comments: