Monday, January 09, 2006

The Gift of a Kingdom Legacy


As I wrote in the last post, we just returned from celebrating my parent's 50th Anniversary. My entire family (2 brothers, 1 sister, their spouses and children) spent 3 days together at Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. What an incredible time. Our family has spread out all over the world and it's nice to reconnect and see what is going on in each other's lives. But the thing that impressed me the most is that God is at work all over. He's impacting my neices and nephews. I heard many of them make comments such as, "I just want whatever I do to be ministry." My brother the missionary is seeking God's leading for their family as they are forced through a difficult transition. My brother the furniture plant manager is loving difficult people into the Kingdom of God. My sister and her husband (the new Dean of the College of Business at Appalachain State University) are being used in their circles to help people encounter Jesus. And I know why it's all happening.

My parents prayed for us.

My dad always says that we turned out pretty well in spite of them. The truth is that God has given them a spiritual legacy. He is using their family all over the world to increase His Kingdom. I came away from our time at the beach being overwhelmed with how much our family has been blessed by God. I've also been challenged to ask God to bless the lives of my own children as much as He has done in my parent's life. I'm asking for the gift of a Kingdom legacy.

My parents have worked hard to "store up their treasures in heaven".

My prayer is that I'll invest as wisely as they have.

No comments: