Friday, January 28, 2005

Mission

I found a quote from Robert Webber last week that has very succintly put what I have been trying to say for several years about the mission of the church. He says,

“The calling of the church in every culture is to be mission. That is, the work of the church is not to be an agent or servant of the culture. The churches’ business is not to maintain freedom or to promote wealth or to help a political party or to serve as the moral guide to culture. The church’s mission is to be the presence of the kingdom. . . . The church’s mission is to show the world what it looks like when a community of people live under the reign of God” (Robert Webber, The Younger Evangelicals, 2002, 133).

I have the blessing of living in a small town were the pastors of the various churches have a good relationship. We feel a sense of team instead of competition. But my question is this - What would it look like if the churches in my community lived "under the reign of God"? It's an exciting thought. And one that I'm willing to take some risks to see come about.

No comments: