Saturday, July 09, 2011

A good reminder...

"How shameful to think that perhaps pagans, people with no faith in Christ,may be better than we and nearer to God’s reign.

Remember how Christ received a pagan centurion and told him, “I’ll go and cure your servant”? The centurion, full of humility and confidence, said, “No, Lord. I am not worthy that you go there. Just say a word and my servant will be cured.” Christ marveled, says the gospel, and he said, “Truly, I have not found such faith in Israel.” (Matthew 8:5–13; Luke 7:2–10.)

I say: Christ will also say of this church: outside the limits of Catholicism perhaps there is more faith, more holiness.

So we must not extinguish the Spirit. The Spirit is not the monopoly of a movement, even of a Christian movement, of a hierarchy, or priesthood, or religious congregation. The Spirit is free, and he wants men and women, wherever they are, to realize their vocation to find Christ, who became flesh to save all human flesh. Yes, to save all, dear brothers and sisters.

I know that some people come to the cathedral who have even lost the faith or are non-Christians. Let them be welcome. And if this message is saying something to them, I ask them to reflect in their inner consciousness, for, like Christ, I can tell them: the kingdom of God is not far from you, God’s kingdom is within your heart. Seek it, and you will find it."

--Oscar Romero, taken from The Violence of Love.

2 comments:

Maplemusketeer said...

I want to read this.

(Hi Jeff! Jordan Oram here. I'm the long time (10 year plus) Squeah dude with red beard who randomly visits Hope whenever the time is right ;) lol

If you saw me you might recognize me as someone you'd seen before LOL :D

Anyways I'm stoked to find your blog and your musings and look forward to following along from wherever in the world I am. (Currently Sechelt, BC.)

Jeff Kuhn said...

Hey Jordan...I know exactly who you are. Thanks for stopping by. I'm pretty hit and miss with posting over the past couple of years, but I hope you enjoy what's here...