Thursday, April 14, 2005

Jesus Creed

I found a new blog that I am really appreciating. Jesus Creed has challenged me to think in new ways. I am going to give you a few quotes below, but you really should check it out. Try this on for size...

For most Christians, when they enter the public fray, often called the Public Forum, the definition of "justice" is determined by the US Constitution. And the US Constitution, even if only hazily read or understood, is understood in terms of John Stuart Mill. And this means this: justice is what enables me and others to have freedom, and that means enables me to have rights, and when I get freedom and rights, I will be happy because I will be able to do whatever I want as long as I do not hurt another. In other words, justice is defined as freedom to do what I want (with very few restrictions).Is this, however, what a Christian means by a biblical sense of justice? Far from it. Justice, as defined by the Bible, is determined not by what I want, or by my own freedom and rights, but by the will of God. What is "just" is what conforms to the will of God. Anything less is morally deficient and anything else is not Christian. Now, let us suggest, as I do in my new book, The Jesus Creed, that the ultimate and final will of God is that humans love God and that humans love others.


Or this...

To love a person is to listen to them, and to let their voice speak. To listen to a person is to let that person's world enter into our world. When the latter happens we choose either to enhance our own life with the other person or, as Cain did to Abel, we destroy that other person to make them what we want ourselves. To treat them with love and trust is to let them be the Eikons God made them to be; to refuse to trust them and love them is to make them a golden calf which we can hammer down into our own image.



Take some time to check it out. And if anyone has read his book, The Jesus Creed, let me know what you think.

No comments: