Thursday, December 02, 2004

I'm working on a poem...

...and that doesn't happen too often. I'll share it here when I'm done, but I wanted to share the inspiration for it. I was driving down Highway 1 the other day on my way to a class. The radio was on and almost without noticing it, I found myself singing along. As I became a little more self-aware, I had to laugh. The song playing was "Gloria", sung by Laura Branigan. You remember that one don't you? Sing it with me now...

You really don't remember, was it something that he said?
all the voices in your head calling, Gloria?
Gloria, don't you think you're fallin'?
If everybody wants you, why isn't anybody callin'?
You don't have to answer
Leave them hangin' on the line, oh-oh-oh, calling Gloria
Gloria (Gloria), I think they got your number (Gloria)
I think they got the alias (Gloria) that you've been living under (Gloria)
But you really don't remember, was it something that they said?
all the voices in your head calling, Gloria?


What I noticed was that I knew about 90% of the lyrics. I was beltin' them out in a way that would've made Laura proud. But the funny thing is that after the song was over I realized that I didn't have a clue what it was about. I still don't. And that was when it hit me. Far too often my faith is like that song. I know the words, I sing them out loud for everyone to hear, but I don't know the story that's being told. It's only words. Later during class a phrase passed through my mind that has become my prayer and hopefully one day, the heart of this poem.

"Immerse me in your story God."

That's what I want to be. Even if I mess up the words sometimes I want to know the story. I want to feel the heartbeat of God as He continues to tell His story. I want to anticipate the climax, cry when the hero gives His life, smile when the characters take themselves to seriously. I want to be so immersed in the story that it becomes my story - that it shapes not only what I do, but also who I am.

So here's the first bit of the poem. Consider it a teaser.

Immerse me in your story God.
From tempting fruit and serpent’s lies.
To Abraham with knife held high
And heart that longs to die.

Fill me with the joy he knew
When ram was laid upon the stone
Isaac journeyed with Him home
To Sarah’s laughing smile.

No comments: