Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Joy

One of the habits that Jesus had that often escapes our notice is the habit of joy. He celebrated during His time on earth. His first miracle was at a wedding feast, and it actually served to prolong the party! Why is it that so often Christians lack joy? Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr., was a member of the U.S. Supreme Court for 30 years. His mind, wit and work earned him the unofficial title of "the greatest justice since John Marshall." At one point in his life, Justice Holmes explained his choice of a career by saying: "I might have entered the ministry if certain clergymen I knew had not looked and acted so much like undertakers." What a sad commentary. Jesus, however, was full of joy. I believe that is one of the reasons people were so drawn to Him.

Perhaps one of the reasons that our joy seems to be so fleeting is that we search for it in the wrong places. C.S. Lewis once wrote, “Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition, when infinite joy is offered to us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in the slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.”

As Halloween has just passed I find myself raiding my kids candy stash. There is nothing like a Reese's Cup to bring a smile to my face. Yet I find that if I eat too much, the smile slips away. The "good feeling" ends and I end up feeling lethargic. I've tried to fuel my body with junk food. While it initially felt great, there was no real substance to the fuel. In the same way, I often settle for fueling my spirit with spiritual junk food. Playing with things that make me feel good for the moment, but that provide no energy for the long haul.

I need to take a look at myself. Am I joyful? Am I seeking God's offer of a "...holiday at the sea" or am I just sitting around making mud pies?

No comments: